Sunday, October 17, 2010

The Potty Chronicles vol. 2

I'm so beyond frustrated.  I've tried everything and she's just not getting it.  She goes a little longer between accidents, yes, but she's still not going in the potty (and that means her accidents are bigger).  Last night I told her she could only take a bath if she went pee in the potty first.  We spent about half an hour in the bathroom with her sitting on the potty.  Nothing. So she didn't take a bath.  I put her in a diaper for bed and she was wet within minutes.

I'm trying really hard not to be frustrated with her.  I really am.  I know that my frustration will just stress her out and only make things worse.  I'm getting to the point where I'm getting really angry and I'm trying my best not to, but it almost feels like she's doing it on purpose to spite me.  I'm pretty sure she's not, she just not understanding, but it just feels like it.

But I'm at my wits end.  I don't know what else to try.  I'm doing everything anyone has ever suggested to me.  I'm so tired of poopy panties and pee on my floors.  At least with diapers it's all contained!

2 comments:

HRHSpence said...

All you can really do is put her back in her diapers and try it again later. While singing up the praises of big girl panties. She'll do it when she's ready and not until.

Megan said...

You don't know me, but I just stumbled across your blog. I hope you don't mind. I just want you to know that I just started potty training my little girl too and it isn't easy! You're not alone! First of all, I've come to realize that potty training is a process. It takes practice and it's not something they just get overnight, or even over a week! And every kid is different. Here are a few things that have helped me get through it.

I started out asking her "do you need to go potty?" and the answer was always "no". I soon came to realize that she was just too busy to want to sit and go potty. And then I realized I was saying it wrong. Instead of asking her if she needed to go, I had to tell her that it was time to go potty and take her by the hand and take her to the potty.

so she was sitting on the potty, great! but she wouldn't go on the potty, she would go in her pull-up afterward. Then I got a good tip from a potty training video. You have to explain to them that they have to "release the pee". Well she doesn't know what "release" means so I put it in terms she could understand. I said, "relax and let your pee pee go" and it actually worked!

Now we're working on trying to get the poop in the potty. We keep talking about how her poop doesn't go in her diaper and how it should go in the potty. She's done it a few times, but it takes practice. We got her this book called "where's the poop?". It's really cute. It shows them where animals go poop and then where people go poop.

And last but not least, make every little accomplishment a celebration. Praise her for just even sitting on the potty, even if she doesn't go. At least she tried. And then when she does go make it a really big deal. My little girl LOVES to dance so we put on some music and do a "happy she went on the potty" dance. We call up grandma and tell her the exciting news. And sometimes she gets a big sticker. It helps her get more excited to do it again.

Hang in there! Everyone learns how to go potty and she'll get the hang of it soon. Good luck!