Friday, January 2, 2009

Why Oming?

So, most of my experience of Wyoming is driving through it. And wildlife. It holds a special place in my heart because Grand Teton National Park (and therefore Jenny Lake) are in this state.

I'm sitting in a room at a Super 8 in Laramie. It's nearly 8am, and I think I'm mostly recovered from a rather harrowing drive yesterday. While there were patches of snow, the roads were mostly clear, so that wasn't the trouble. Have you ever heard that Wyoming is really WINDY???? Well, it is. And the stretch of road between Rock Springs and Laramie is killer. It didn't help that it was dark. I hate driving at night.

So, at one point we passed a sign that said "high wind area" with a windsock on it. The windsock was completely vertical and taut. I thought "uh oh."

Further down the road we passed a "road closed when flashing, return to Rock Springs" sign. I'm assuming for when the road is snowed in. Well, it was flashing and I was confused and almost panicked, but the big sign said "Severe winds, advised no light or empty trailers."

Okay, in a "high wind area" when they call the wind "severe," they mean it. We got out at a rest stop at one point (Erin's diaper needed to be changed and she was letting the entire state know), and the wind nearly knocked me over. I wasn't ready for it. And when I got back IN my car, I almost couldn't shut the door. I had to brace my leg against the side and put my weight into my pull. It was shortly after that that Matt saw two flipped semis. I saw the emergency vehicle with one (flashing lights are hard to miss) but I couldn't tell what had happened, and completely missed the other. Matt says it's because he was higher and could therefore see more. I think it's just because he can see better in the dark. But I'm glad I didn't see them. I was worried enough about Matt and the Uhaul as it was.

I was SO GLAD to make it to Laramie with both of us in one piece.

As far as wildlife goes, I had to stop on the freeway yesterday for 3 deer who were crossing. It was before it got completely dark, so I saw them with enough time to stope safely. I've never even seen deer on the road, let alone had them cross in front of me. They were cute. (Incidently, WY is also the location of the only place I've ever hit an animal. A bird. I was driving with Matt back from Michigan, and after praying for help to stay away, it dived in front of my car and scared me SO BAD. But I woke up. I will always be thankful for that little bird.)

Okay, I'm just blabbering now, so I will do a tag that I promised my friend Bree that I would do, even though I don't really like them. I'm not going to tag anyone in return.

8 favorite TV Shows (in no particular order)
1. Fringe
2. The Office
3. Bones
4. Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares
5. Man Vs. Wild
6. House
7. Fraggle Rock
8. The Colbert Report

8 things I did yesterday
1. Drove from Idaho Falls, ID to Laramie, WY
2. See #1
3. See #1
4. See #1
5. See #1
6. See #1
7. See #1
8. See #1

8 favorite restaurants
1. Olive Garden
2. Applebee's
3. PF Chang's
4. Chili's
5. Panda Express
6. Bajio's
7. Wendy's
8. um....

8 things on my wish list
1. Make it to Denver with no incidents
2. check into our apartment, and it's not terrible (I'm sort of afraid of this)
3. Erin doesn't flip out to get into the car AGAIN today
4. I really wish I could go to my friends' Marc and Ingrid's sealing...but...that's not going to happen. It's tomorrow (I think?)
5. Health for all my family and friends
6. To go to my friend Jared's wedding, but that's in March, and well, I'll have just had a baby.
7. To pay off our debt
8. To be able to make friends easily

3 comments:

Adi said...

You have some spelling errors in there that made me laugh and say "huh??"

The first one was "we had to stope" LOL

and the second was talking about the bird you said you were praying to stay away and then the bird hit and you woke up. I was like "what?" and then got it... derrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr lol

and it's so funny that you should say you had to stop for deer in the road because we did that yesterday. First time I've ever had to stop for deer in the road and they ran in front of us too. There were 4. It was cool! :D

HRHSpence said...

Well, I hate stoping for animals, too. I am sure stope is the the dictionary somewhere. Right next to cramble and slelch?

Angie said...

I totally feel your pain on this moving trip you just endured. We made the move from Missoula, MT to Colorado Springs, CO in one day. It was a 19 hour day, with our two dogs, and by the time we got along the front range in Colorado it was nighttime, the wind was intense, and my husband was driving the Uhaul in extremely strong cross-winds. That was New Year's Day 2006. I was so tired that I wasn't sure I could make it until I did some very serious praying and then I got a second wind, all from God no doubt!

As far as the deer crossing the road, that happens here in Missouri all the time! I hate driving at night because of the deer in this area!